X series overdrivers
The X series of overdrive and distortion units are hyper-verstaile. While the X-series shares many features with our MODEL Series units, the X-Series devices cantain no compressors at all. The X-Series is essentially our "dirt rig" systems that focus on distortion and overdriving with no stinkin' compressors to gum up the works. They often range between clean-ish boosters, to multi-modal animals that can go from nice to IN YO FACE with a switch-flip! The circuitry used is very frugal and minimal, done purposely so to allow your guitar's natural sound to come through while still providing the needed grindage.
Distortion created by means of solid-state circuitry has been used for decades. Some of our favorite sounds over the years have been created with solid-state distortion. Billy Gibbons is well known for preferring solid state distortion sounds .. he's even been quoted many times saying that he likes "that stuff" best. "My head's in Mississippi" was recorded using solid state amps and overdrivers, and from the best I can tell that's been confirmed. My point is that many times the ~inner snob~ within us all somehow insists that only a tube-driven device will provide "real" distortion. I think a better attitude is to use what makes it work. If it takes solid state rigging to get the sound, who cares what the cork-sniffers have to say? I happen to truly dig the hell out of most solid state distortion sounds. I think by this time in history the fact that SRV used a "Tube Screamer" to obtain his most popular tones is pretty well known.
That said I like to think that our X circuit is one of the better distortion circuits out there. Uncompressed, dynamic as all hell, loads of low end (it most definitely does not "kill the bass" of you sound), and just loves to be "driven" by something in front of it (especially our BOOSTEN circuit .. those two combined together make an outstanding distortional unit! See the upcoming X5 Ovadrive for "nothin' but THAT"). So, we can build many formats ~around~ this distortional archetype. Many formats indeed. As you can see we can make the X simple or mondo-loaded. It also plays well with others so it combines with other circuits extremely well. The idea of "less is more" is the main path I take in most of my circuit designs. That idea is carried through the entirety of the X Series. :)
The X-Series Lineup:
- THE X: Our most basic distortion - overdrive unit. Can be built simple or completely nutso.
- THE X2 Nuclear Overdrive: Two knobs and a Nuke Switch. Fun stuff.
- THE X3 AFTERBURNER: An X laid out like no other.
- THE X4 Overdriver: Has three position LOVOX toggle, two position HIVOX toggle, and three position ITP (internal Tone Plug) toggle along with the standard GAIN and VOLUME knobs. This design was developed for the MEGA9 preamp.
- THE X5 Ovadrive: Combine an X4 with a separate and fully independent primary gain stage to make the X5 a dual gain stage circuit (not to be confused with a "dual opamp" circuit). Easily our best sounding and most high performance overdrive/distortion unit we make. Period.
Actually there is no real vaporwear on the X-series. We've explored or investigated just about every conceivable format and combinations with other circuits in various places within our lineup.
To be announced.