We've adopted a personal philosophy that we call Outlife. It's the idea that our pedals will outlive both their designer as well as their owners. We do our best to apply this modus operandi to every detail of every design. From the forever permanence of our deeply handstamped graphics, the use of all aircraft grade stainless steel hardware, full-floating circuit boards which are fully insulated from the impacts and vibrations of footstompery, to the way we place all of the jacks on the "end" of each pedal. We try to think of everything. It's a challenge but one that ensures that we are always improving and constantly upgrading things as we discover newer/better ways to do things.
- All Analog: 100% all analog designs (resist the digi....)
- True Bypass: Every Farndurk device is custom designed with True Bypass circuitry.
- Totally Handbuilt: One-at-a-time by Brian and Missi Cale at our effects shop in Yuma, Az.
- CAN-I Philosophy: Constant And Neverending Improvement. We're always in a perpetual state of research and development. We actually listen to our customers' advice, and we are always on the quest for improvement and innovation. We rarely sit still.
- Tested Tough: All of our designs are individually tested at practice levels, and at gig levels.
- Renewable Resource: Farndurk devices are designed and built with modifications and serviceability in mind. When opened up, access to the components is nearly unobstructed (another Farndurk exclusive feature).
- Modifiable Designs: Some of our effects use popular circuits so that the more adventurous and skilled user can easily try their own modifications, if desired. (Doing so may effect your warranty, see the "Warranty" section below for details).
- No Battery Design: This is partially a Green issue, and partially a functional issue. All Farndurk devices must use 9v adapter with center negative. (The standard "BOSS" styled adaptor works just fine). Some people think this is a hassle, but believe us when we tell you this design feature sidesteps an entire pile of potential problems.
- Endjacks: All Farndurk effects devices are endjacked as opposed to side-jacked. All connections are made at the top end of every device we design. Look at the pics and you'll see that 4 Farndurks easily fit into the space of 3 side-jacked effects. Farndurk endjacked devices use the least amount of pedalboard space of any stompbox we know of.
- Easy-View Main LED indicator: We use an extra heavy duty LED holder that is unique to Farndurk effects. It's very deep, with deep reflecting walls so the lighted LED is easily seen from odd angles and longer distances. We've placed the main LED near the footswitch to keep it very visible and not hiding behind a knob or toggle switch. The heavy duty LED holder is totally tough enough to deal with contact with your foot, and it's deep enough that no matter how hard you stomp you will not hit the actual LED within the holder. Our main LED is easy to look around when you are trying to adjust something in low stage lighting. This is partly due to our placement of it away from the controls and placed it near the footswitch so you're not looking directly at it when making adjustments ... cool huh? And it's still easy to see in daylight, too.
- "LED Pop" protection built in to each effect design: We do what we can to eliminate "led pop" from each Farndurk pedal we build. In the right conditions, LED pop can damage your gear, or worse, your ears! All of our audio circuits use the normal "switch-pop" protection, but we also use a damper circuit on the LED indicator (the source of the most severe "pop") in each device we build. This damper circuit adds zero circuitry to the signal chain, and has absolutely no effect on instrument tone. It simply kills LED pop. Almost no-one does this that we know of except us.
- Unique Assembly and Construction Methods: As most folks know, stompboxes tend to shake themselves to pieces when used a lot. To combat terminal rattlebox disease:
- We use Loctite on every jack, toggle switch, footswitch, and LED holder to help keep our pedals reliable and road worthy.
- We augment Loctite by using heavy duty stainless steel "inside star" washers (very effective lock washers) on all jacks and footswitches to help keep everything together a little better, even for touring musicians.
- We also use oversized, surface-ground stainless steel flat washers on all toggle switches, pots, audio jacks and footswitches which provide very solid mounting surfaces for those components and helps to keep them tight.
- These stainless steel inside star washers, and the stainless steel flat washers are difficult items to manufacture (we make all of our own washers by hand in our shop in Yuma, Az.), but well worth it to get better reliability and year after year good looks.
- We use a large, oversized, overthick nut on our footswitches (hand machined one at a time in our shop in Yuma, Az.) that has more than twice as many threads on it over the standard switch nut. This nut combined with the stainless flat washer, the inside star washer, and the Loctite allows us to put extra torque on the footswitch nut and keep it very secure.
- We never use the metal enclosure as a ground connection in any of our designs, all grounded components are individually hard wired to ground to make certain there aren't any grounding problems due to a simple loose component.
- Quality Components: We use the best pre-tinned 24 gauge wire that we can find, and many audiophile quality components in our designs. These efforts build a device that is lower in noise and hiss, is more consistent from one effect to the next, and is more reliable (reliability is paramount to us). We try very hard to use as many American made parts as possible (for instance, the knobs that we use are made in Chicago). It's difficult to find electronic components that aren't made in China these days. We've gone to great lengths to find what we think are only the best components to complete each Farndurk effects pedal.
- Practical Finish: Many of our devices have a natural aluminum finish and can be written all over with any color Sharpie and easily cleaned right off with plain old rubbing alcohol. So you can mark all over our effects devices with your favorite settings, and clean it all off later. This is much better than using white gaffer's tape, as you already know taking off the tape always leaves that sticky goop that kills resale value. Farndurk pedals are very easy to make look shiny-new again. Scratches are easily buffed out with steel wool or wet emery cloth. Each and every enclosure is carefully shaped, rounded out, and smoothed by hand to give them a look to be proud of. The aluminum enclosures we use are very durable, but they always have some little anomalies and irregularities in their color (that makes each one a little more unique). We could use prettier enclosures, but they aren't as durable as the ones we prefer to use. So we sortof trade looks for strength.
- Hand-Stamped Graphics: Farndurk graphics are all hand-stamped, one character at a time. This is the most permanent marking method we know of. After decades of use, Farndurk pedals will still have all of their original markings on them.
To be announced.